Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Google Apps: The one stop shop for Email, Online Docs, Calendar, and Basic Web Hosting.

When it comes to Email, Online Docs, Calendaring, and even website hosting, there are A LOT of options out there. However, most people aren't aware that Google is now offering FREE tools, that will host your Personal email account, Calendar, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and PDF docs, and even your website, all for free.

When I first started working for a software company many moons ago, the company email system was provided through a third-party web hosting provider. Since the website was hosted with this other company, it was assumed that our email had to be hosted there as well. However, the SPAM protection from almost any third-party web hosting providers is horrible, and left my inbox flooded with SPAM messages everyday--it was frustrating to say the least. Finally, after some coercing, I talked the executives into transferring all email hosting to Google Apps, and within hours, my SPAM went from hundreds, to ZERO. Our company was able to keep the same business domain name, integration with Outlook, Blackberry's and even iPhone's, with little configuration changes. Our customers had no idea that we changed email providers, other than the fact that we actually responded to their messages quicker, now that we didn't have to fight through hundreds of pieces of SPAM.

Since that time I have transferred many of my clients over to Google Apps and they all love it. Plus, the web interface for sending and receiving email is fantastic as well--if you like the GMAIL interface.

A lot of people think that they won't be able to keep their custom domain name (business.com), but this is just not true. Google Apps is made for small to mid-sized businesses that need reliable email and web hosting, without paying the premium fees.

For more information, visit: http://Google.com/apps/

3 comments:

chathamsolutions said...

As an iPhone user I find it incredibly difficult to believe that you like using Gmail's interface. Yahoo! mail is so much more intuitive. I have accounts on both services. Hands down, Yahoo! mail is easier to use and much more intuitive.

BTW -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vrv0ioHDASY&feature=related

Tyler Jorgenson said...

I've been slowly transitioning to using gmail as my host. So far I just forward everything over into gmail but still have it on my server as well. I am not a huge fan of the gmail interface. One of the things I had a hard time with is that the signature line was simple and put at the bottom of the entire message rather than at the bottom of the reply. I found this firefox add-on which seems to solve the problem nicely:
http://blankcanvasweb.com/pages/detail/id_9/n_gmail_signatures/

You mentioned an ad block add on in an earlier post... what firefox add ons do you love? Which do you recommend for everyday users?

Joe said...

I like Gmails idea of tagging emails, but I do find the use of folders a bit easier. I'd say that it's mainly because that's what I used to, but I've been using Gmail for a good time now. Besides that I prefer Gmail over any other service. I hate yahoo because of how slow it is and sometimes just plain doesn't work. And I hate that I can't sync up my hotmail with my iPhone. Funny how I still actively use account on all 3 services...

Post a Comment

 
Design by F.W.T.
Web Statistics